Woman Crush Wednesday: Good Lovelies

Good Lovelies
Today's Woman Crush Wednesday is more accurately, a Women Crush Wednesday - an amazing Canadian indie/folk/roots three-piece, the Good Lovelies. *Sigh* they're so great.

I first came across the Good Lovelies at the National Folk Festival in Canberra, where they performed in 2011. As an impressionable young fifteen-year-old, I was starstruck by the Good Lovelies' sweet harmonies (I couldn't sing to save myself), stage presence, witty stories and camaraderie. I still wish I had a girl gang like theirs. After the festival, I was inspired to draw the band and email them my artwork, in my first-ever act of fangirling (there have been ~a few~ since).

L-R: Sue Passmore, Kerri Ough & Caroline Brooks
Source: Good Lovelies Facebook page
Since the Good Lovelies live in Canada, visits to Australia are not exactly frequent. But return they did, around March this year. I scheduled a weekend in Melbourne to coincide with their show there. It was a great gig, and I finally got to meet Sue, Kerri and Caroline. I've now followed up that show with a new portrait, above.

Photos from the recent Melbourne show
Here's a video of the Good Lovelies performing a familiar song, here's a sweet love song, and a creative cover. You can listen to all of their songs here.

The Good Lovelies are strong, intelligent and beautiful women - hugely inspirational despite my complete lack of musical talent/ambition - and 100% deserving of the 'Women Crush' that was born at the National three years ago. Not only do I love this band, I'm also a huge fan of maple syrup, Anne of Green Gables and Half Moon Run, so it looks like I'll have to make my way to Canada ASAP!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

This is the second instalment in my series of Woman Crush Wednesday (#WCW) posts featuring my portraits of women whose beauty shines from the inside out.

Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hello there, we're Maddie and Ellen; two friends blogging about the things we find beautiful, fascinating and inspiring. We love DIY projects, fashion, food, art and music. Our aim is to never stop creating and learning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment