The Best of the Internet: Food Friday

I spend a fair amount of time browsing the internet (blogs, Buzzfeed, trusty ol' taste.com.au) for cool looking food ideas - my 'recipes to try' Bookmarks folder is growing by the day. So I thought I'd share some of the best I've found in recent months.

Recipes that catch my eye and make it into my Bookmarks usually have the following attributes:

  • Somewhat healthy (lots of veggies and protein)
  • Not too many fancy / hard to find ingredients, or a loooong list of instructions
  • Nice photos (I'm a sucker for food photography)
  • Although I eat meat, I'm always on the lookout for good vegetarian recipes so I can build up a repertoire and try to eat less meat. 

This is for savoury / meal recipes only... when it comes to sweets and baking I am 100% COLOURS! FLAVOURS! SUGAR! BUTTER! ALL THE THINGS!

So without further ado, here are some of the best meal recipes I've come across lately:


Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto by Oh She Glows

With an abundance of delicious tomatoes and bushes full of tasty basil in my backyard of late, I went searching for appropriately tomato-and-basil-y recipes. This one fit the bill. I ended up making a quinoa version instead of pasta, but it was still super delicious and I'll be trying it again with pasta sometime soon.


Roasted Vegetable Lasagne from taste.com.au

The photograph just doesn't do this masterpiece justice. Plentiful layers of roasted vegies with creamy white sauce and tangy tomato sauce, topped with dat cheesy crust... oh man. A lot of effort, but totally worth it. 




Haven't made this one yet, but it looks like a yummy roast-vegie Greek-vibez nutritious meal. 



So far my experiments with homemade vegie burgers have turned out invariably mushy. Nice, but mushy - lacking that nice chewable texture of 'real' burgers. This recipe promises that with a little more effort, you can make a nice sturdy burger. Plus black beans are great and so is chipotle mayo. 



Clearly this one is not vegetarian, but for omnivores it is a really nice and easy dish to make. The flavours are great, the marinade is easy to make and the roasting part is hard to screw up. I'd definitely consider making it with chicken wings for an easy party share plate. 



I made a less healthy and more traditional burrito meal from this recipe because: 
     a) my family is already suspicious of vegetarian food and also kale; and 
     b) I had other ingredients to use up in my house and couldn't be bothered going to the shops.
The combo of simple spiced beans, cauli rice, fresh avo and some other ingredients (simple Mex coleslaw and a nice corn salsa + lettuce and tomato) in a burrito wrap was a great tasting variation on the trusty Old El Paso kit (which I love, btw) we normally use around my place. 



Sweet and Sour Broccoli Salad by One Two Simple Cooking

Yes, I am slightly suspicious of building a meal around such an oft-hated green vegetable, but I feel like the sweet and sour flavours, sesame and cashews make this a really simple and nice meal to make-ahead for work or uni. Yum!

Happy Eating, Friends!


Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hello there, we're Maddie and Ellen; two friends blogging about the things we find beautiful, fascinating and inspiring. We love DIY projects, fashion, food, art and music. Our aim is to never stop creating and learning.

1 comments:

  1. Ugh, all of those seem so delicious. I'm hungry now!

    ReplyDelete