Easy Typography Birthday Cards DIY


Lately I've been teaching myself how to do a bit of the awesome typography that you see all over Pinterest, Instagram and the prettiest of stationery goodies. I'm just making it up as I go along and copying cool styles that I see. With a bit of practice, it's really not too hard at all to make your own sweetly hand-lettered greeting cards and other cool stuff, like our new blog header - the result of watercolour and lettering experimentation and a bit of Photoshop.

This is a step-by-step on how to create your own handmade greeting card - the cheat's way! As you can see, the card I made for my sweet grandmother's 93rd birthday is very simple, but I think it looks almost as good as a store-bought card - and that much more personal.

You will need:
- the internet
- thick paper/thin card for the basic birthday card (A4 or A5)
- pencils - for sketching and colouring
- ruler and eraser
- fine black pen

First, decide what you want to write on the card - in this instance, we'll stick with 'Happy Birthday Nanna' but the choices are endless. To find a lettering style you want to use, go to dafont.com and have a browse. The 'Basic Serif' and 'Calligraphy' sections will be your best bet for the sort of style that's perfect to copy by hand. For this card, I used the Dafont Wedding Chardonnay Font for my cursive script, and the Dafont Caslon CP Font for the block lettering. Pro-tip: a mixture of curly and straight/blocky fonts makes for a really appealing look.

When you've found your fonts, type your desired text into the preview box - this is what you'll copy for your handwritten card.




The next step is to scribble out some mock-ups of your text. This gives you a chance to practice copying the text, and figure out how to format your card. I went for the second option of my sketches below.


 Once that's decided, get your blank cardboard, fold in half, and rule up the front side in thin lead pencil. Mark out the vertical centre line, and a straight horizontal line (usually about 2/3 from the bottom of the card for a nice look). Lightly sketch your lettering - erase and try again until you get it right.


When you're happy with the lettering, erase all the guide lines and erase the outline of the writing until you can *just* see it. I used watercolour pencils to colour the block lettering in a simple blue ombre, then went over the cursive with a black 0.5mm ink pen, and outlined the block lettering.


As simple as that, you'll have yourself a personal and almost-professional-looking birthday card. Hit up Pinterest and cute card shops for more inspiration and unleash the beautiful card-making genius you know you are.





Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hello there, we're Maddie and Ellen; two friends blogging about the things we find beautiful, fascinating and inspiring. We love DIY projects, fashion, food, art and music. Our aim is to never stop creating and learning.

3 comments:

  1. Wow this is so cool, I looks so pretty - really lovely DIY, I might try doing it myself for my grandma's birthday ;)

    HOPELESS WANDERER

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice idea! I have such an odd obsession with pretty and fancy fonts/handwriting & am forever wishing I could write in pretty, flowing calligraphy! But you've really found a great cheat's way & talked about it step by step clearly! I love the contrast between the fancy and block writing and also really love the affect of the blue watercolour on the lettering! I bet your grandmother loved her card, lovely post :-)

    X Gemma
    http://www.simplygemmalouise.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool idea and great tips! Thanks for sharing!

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete